Friday 10 August 2007

Welsh Cakes - Relatives of Scones

It was not too long ago before I made some scones and I had heaps of the ingredients left in the kitchen. Hence, I wanted to make something out of it, and yet want to include some variety in the journal. Thanks to all the browsing through my collection of cookbooks, I finally found a recipe which is quite similar to scones, yet far more easier to make! What could be better! (lazy me XD)

Anyway, I made them, and actually double the recipe myself, but I'm just going to post the original proportions (improvised ofcourse). Well, enjoy!


Ingredients:
100g Self-raising Flour
Pinch of Salt
50g Butter or Margarine
50g Sugar
1 Egg, plus a little milk if required
50g Currants
2.5ml (1/2 tsp) Ground Nutmeg

Method:
1. Sieve the flour and salt. Rub in the butter and stir in sugar, nutmeg and currants. Mix to pastry consistency with egg.
2. Roll out to 6mm thickness and cut with 6mm small pastry cutter.
3. Arrange on large greased pan and bake in preheated oven at 150 degrees Celsius for 5 minutes.
4. Switch oven off for 15 minutes then grease and reheat for another round. Bake for another 5 minutes on turned side.
5. Dredge with caster sugar and serve. Makes 10.

Adapted from Simply Delicious

No comments: