Monday 6 August 2007

Steamed Fish Teochew Style (Revised)

Finally! I just came back from a few days trip to the New England Tablelands, the 3 days trip was really a a lifetime experience I reckon, prolly I will talk more about the trip in another post when I get my hands on all the pictures taken during the trip. For now, I would just like to share a few dishes with everyone before I get too busy and forget about it...

Well, I know I have already posted once on Teochew style steamed fish, but frankly speaking I was not satisfied that I had to use fish fillets for the dish. This time around, thanks to Foo Loong, I got a couple of fish in a whole! The first thing that came into mind was to make the Teochew style steamed fish again, as I really miss the authentic taste of that dish. This time around, I improvised the ingredients a bit, the result was better I reckon, partly due to the fact that a whole fish is used (this is just me, HaHa).



Ingredients: (serves 3-4)


1 whole Fish (cleaned, washed and tapped dry) (about 500g)

25g SzeChuan Pickled Mustard Green

50g Fresh Soft Tofu (sliced to 1cm thick pieces)

50g Chinese Shitake Mushroom (sliced)

1 Tomato (coarsely sliced)

1 tbsp Tamarind Paste (dissolved in 3-4tbsp hot water)

1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce

2 tbsp Sea Salt

1-2cm Ginger (finely chopped)

1/2 tbsp Sugar



Method:

1. Rinse and wash the fish thoroughly, dry with kitchen towel. Make 3 diagonal cuts on each side of the fish. Rub over with 1 1/2 tbsp sea salt. Leave aside.

2. Mix the tofu, mushroom, pickled mustard green, tamarind juice and ginger, rub over with 1/2 tbsp of sea salt and sugar each.

3. Place the fish on a steaming tray or bowl, place the rest of the ingredients at sides of the fish. Add a dash of light soy sauce.

4. Steam for 15-20 minutes, or until the fish eyes pokes out. Done. Serve hot.

No comments: