Sunday 26 August 2007

Char Siew Salad? Not quite...



A few days ago I had this sudden urge to make make something out of the Char Siew Sauce that I bought some time ago and left it there since the first use. After scratching my head for one whole morning, I was still undecided on what to make, should I make Char Siew itself? I love them! But obviously there was no tenderloin meat in the storage, I only had this cutlets of pork armpits, if I remembered correctly, that is. Anyway, to cook the meat only was too plain and dull, I like vegetables and wanted them to go with the meat. Finally, I decided, what could be easier than making a salad? LAZY =)

The ingredients are fairly simple:
2 stems of Celery (thinly chopped)
1 Tomato (diced)
1/2 Carrot (finely sliced)
1 piece of Pork Armpit (about 100g) (cut lengthwise into strips)
1 tbsp Char Siew Sauce
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1/2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
1/2 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
1 tsp Lemon Juice
pinch of Salt and Pepper


Method:
1. Marinade the pork with char siew sauce, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, salt and pepper; this should be given about 20-30 minutes at least.

2. Mix the celery, carrot and tomato in bowl, add lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Leave aside.

3. Heat oil in a flat (preferably not-stick) pan or wok. Add in the pork cutlets one by one and saute over low heat. You can tell they are thoroughly cooked when they turn dark brown.

4. Remove the meat from the pan, top or mix with the salad.

5. Add 1/2 cup of water to the remaining sauces in the pan, bring to boil. Dilute some corn starch with cold water and add to the sauce, give it a good stir. Remove from heat and pour over salad mix. Done. Serve hot or cold.


No comments: