Sunday 20 May 2007

Roast Pork

I bought a piece of pork, which I do not know the name of the part, looks very similar to Pork Belly, but it was not (the price justifies that). Hence I thought roasting it, for a couple of reasons. First, I never tried roasting pork, or making the renown "Xiew Yok" anyway, so I thought that this is a good opputunity to try it; and secondly, because I felt like eating Roasted Pork. lol Anyway, here goes...

Ingredients:
1kg Pork Belly
2 tbsp Sea Salt
2 tbsp Rice Vinegar

Marinade:
1 pc red fermented Bean Curd
1 tbsp Chopped Garlic
1 tbsp Chopped Ginger
1 tbsp Chinese Shao Xing Rice Wine
1 tbsp Mix Spice Powder
2 tbsp Salt
2 tbsp Sugar

Method:
1. Wash and clean the pork thoroughly, pat dry with kitchen towel. Score the back of the meat diagonally and horizontally. Rub Sea Salt all over the meat.

2. Rub the marinade thoroughyl into the meat, especially those score grooves. Leave for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better.

3. Roast the pork in preheated oven at 220C for 20 minutes. Make sure the skin side faces up. Remove from oven and prick all over the skin with a sharp instrument. i.e. fork.

4. Brush the skin with a good coat of Rice Vinegar. raost again in oven for another 20-30 minutes or when small little pop-up bubbles form on the skin of the pork. Leave to cool for about 15 minutes before chopping to serve.

For best results, Pork Belly is the best meat to use. Thanks Little Guy Bid Kitchen for the recipe, I modified it a bit, and the sauce is my own secret to keep...lol

No comments: