Wednesday 5 September 2007

The Tofu Bakar I missed...

It was another day sharing dinner at John's place, and I was really wondering what I should cook. I went to the grocery shop walking around, it was as if I did not know what I wanted to cook, but I actually already have something in mind, in fact I was just walking around trying to find something else that might change my mind, which I have to confess, nothing did! Haha
Anyway, I reckon it is probably due to the fact that I am deeply missing home! (the food especially! XD) Anyway, life has to go on, I saw this dried tofu that was almost like those 'Tauhu Bakar' back home, certainly there's a difference, but "it would do", my little mind whispered that moment. Well check out the recipe, it's not hard, after being twisted by my creativity, I think it does not at all look like the original 'Tauhu Bakar', but again, "it will do, I am fine with it... XD"


Ingredients: (serves 3-4)
500g pre-fried tofu (available at Asian stores)
300g Cucumber (about 3 of it, skinned and finely chopped)
50g Skinned Peanuts (toasted and crushed)
2 tbsp Anchovy Sambal Chili Paste
3 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Sugar


Method:
1. Half the tofu lenghtwise, then further half top and bottom, and diagonally across to form two traingular pieces. Lightly wipe the tofu pieces with some sea salt on each sides, grill for about 5 to 8 minutes on each sides.
2. In a bowl, mix the anchovy sambal paste, sugar, dark and light soy sauce. Heat the mixture in a saucepan and bring to boil.
3. Place the cucumber in the middle of a plate, arrange the tofu pieces around, sprinkle with crushed peanuts and pour sauce over, serve hot preferably. Enjoy!

Note: The original version would be to sandwich the cucumber in between two tofus (the content scooped away before grilled), sprinkled with peanuts and top with the sauce.

No comments: