Friday 21 September 2007

Steamed Pork Ribs with Fermented Black Bean and Wolberry Fruit

I remember back in Malaysia there when I use to visit any Dim Sum stores for morning yum cha sessions, there would always be this dish on the selection tray, but in most cases I would take this dish, as I thought there was nothing special about the dish, might as well get other dim sums. But now when I am here in Australia, I just couldn't help to miss that particular dish ( I did try it for once or twice). Hence, when my friends asked me to make something out of the pork ribs they bought, this dish came straight into mind, and guess what, my friends liked it! Haha



Ingredients: (serves 3-4)
800g Pork Ribs (try American Pork Ribs, that is what it is called in Australia)
50g fermented Black Bean
50g Wolberry Fruit
10tbsp Chinese Cooking Shao Xing Wine
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
1 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
3 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
3cm Ginger (finely chopped)
2 tbsp Black Pepper Powder



Method:
1. Chop the ribs into desired sizes, I did mine 1cm slices, as the meat that I used was not American Pork Ribs, more of pork rib meat. If you are using American Pork Rib, it should be about 3cm copped cutlets.
2. In a bowl, mix shao xing wine, sesame oil, ginger, salt, dark and light soy sauce together with the ribs. Leave to marinate for at least 1 hour. I did mine 2 hours plus.
3. Soak the wolberry fruit and fermented black bean separately, drain the water before cooking, mix into the mixture earlier.
4. Steam for at least 15-30 minutes, depending on bowl or plate size, and the steamer size, but 20 minutes should generally be sufficient to get all the ribs cooked thoroughly. Serve hot.


Note: Stir and mix all the ingredients well upon removal from steamer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read this article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more soon.

Anonymous said...

I will not concur on it. I think warm-hearted post. Specially the title-deed attracted me to be familiar with the sound story.

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read that post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. BTW, try to add some images :).