Tuesday 24 July 2007

First Day of Uni...Scones Day!

It's was first day of the new session and I was in the mood of making something different...and easy! HaHa... well considering the ingredients I had in the kitchen and the tight budget that I am living on for the coming week (thanks to the fact that I spent a lot on the holiday trips), I decided to make some all time favourites - scones!

Well, there are plenty of scone recipes around, mine is nothing too special to brag about, but I'll jot it down anyway. But what I was happy with was the aromatic smell that filled the house when I was baking, it's the best scent a house can ever smell. People should quit buying synthetic air fresheners and just bake everyday so that their house smell good. That way, we can kill two birds with one stone, namely, having a house which smells good, and most importantly, have a gastronomic feast everyday! What else could be better! HaHa....

Anyway, check out the recipe, I refered to a few recipes together to make this, it's simple after a few times making it, I reckon I do not need to refer to a recipe the next time I bake them again... XD




Ingredients: (makes 9 uneven pieces)

2 cups Self-raising Flour

2/3 cup Brown Sugar (adjust to suit own preference)

2 tsp Cinnamon Powder

1/2 cup Butter or margarine

2/3 cup Milk

1 beaten Egg

1 tsp Vanilla Extract

1 cup Raisins or Sultanas (add more if you want!)

Extra Milk and Brown Sugar for crust

Method:

1. Heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.

2. Sieve and combine self-raising flour, brown sugar and cinnamon powder.

3. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. If you feel that it is too much a hassle, just melt the butter, add in the flour mixture, then mix well.

4. In another bowl, combine milk, egg and vanilla essence. Add to flour mixture; stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in raisins (Slightly rinse them a while beforehand, drain water before use).

5. With floured hands, shape dough into about 5cm portions (should be able to make 9 piece) on greased baking plate or pan. Brush each scone top with milk and sprinkle a bit of sugar prior to baking (for a nice crusted glaze)

6. Bake at 200 degrees Celsius for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm (I like to eat with some fruit conserve and yogurt).

There you go! It is not too hard I reckon, simple and sweet. Enjoy!

No comments: