Monday 24 December 2007

Curry Fish My Style

Having just started on my industrial training, I am so used to arriving at home after work and just laze around.I must admit that despite the fact that I know I should spend just a little time to update somethings on my blog, I just could not help it. I think this is what people call 'office-goers' laziness'... Nevertheless, with Chinese's Dong Zhi just passed and Christmas just around the corner, I finally decided to clear up old my 'old debts' with my blog posts. That said, this curry fish was made a few days after I came back from Sydney, sorry it took such a long time to get posted here... lol



Ingredients: (serves 3-4)
1 Fresh Whole Fish (about 400-500g)
3 slices Ginger (finely chopped)
1 Large Red Onion (finely sliced)
1 stalk Lemon Grass (finely chopped)
3 pc Khaffir Lime Leafs (finely chopped)
2 tbsp Curry Powder (could use 3tbsp for a stronger curry taste)
1 tbsp Chili Powder
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1/2 a can of Evaporated Milk Creamer (could subsitute with plain yoghurt)
Pepper and Salt to taste

Method:
Clean and rinse the fish toroughly, half the fish, make a couple of deep scores on both sides of the fish and give them a good rub of salt, leave aside for about 15 minutes to marinate. Heat oil in a wok, stir in the slice red onion, lemon grass and ginger, continue to stir fry until aromatic. Add in the curry and chili powder while there is still oil in the wok, stir fry until fragrant. Pour in half the proportion of the evaporated creamer and braise for about 3 minutes. Put in the fish at this point, mix well and cover wok with lid, bring to boil over high heat. Remove the wok lid, check whether the fish's eyes has poked out. If no, add some water, cover with lid and simmer again for another 5 minutes or so. If yes, add in the remainder of the evaporated milk, followed by the khaffir lime leafs. Stir and mix well, make sure the gravy is nice and thick (the evaporated milk added at the end should help to achieve this, if not, stir in some corn flour solution). Turn off the heat when the gravy boils again, done. Serve hot or warm.

1 comment:

Eleanor Hoh said...

I am also Malaysian Chinese. My mother was born in Singapore and my dad is Hakka but born in Malacca.

Brought up on spicy Malay food, yummy. What kind of wok do you use? Is it cast iron cause it's the BEST.

Great to hear you find cooking relaxing and creative. I've met many designers who attend my Wok Star cooking classes in South Florida, USA. Numerous design showrooms host my classes.

They also have my Wok Star Kit and love using their woks to cook everything. We cook on a portable butane gas stove which sits on top of our electric stoves, what's your setup?

Take a look at my website, I think you'll enjoy finding out about my fun and easy wok techniques.