Wednesday 3 December 2008

Cinnamon Sugar Muffins

After the first two come-backs on baking muffin, I continued exploring the Internet for inspirations and ways to improve my baking techniques, when I came across this website called Joy of Baking, it almost instantly came across my mind: "ah hah! This is it!" I actually think that all bakers should visit that website at least once (now included in my foodie list), as all the content published in it has a lot of thought and considerations put into it. As for those who just started baking, I think the tips and techniques explained in the posts will definitely help to improve your (and my own) baking!

Moving on from the discoveries and findings learnt from Stephanie, I moved on to write and improvise recipes, as usual. This time around, I started off with something less complicated so that I can test some techniques mentioned in Joy of Baking.com, the result? Walah! I personally thought the quality of the muffins have improved significantly! Give it a shot, I think muffins are hard to get wrong with once you mastered the basic techniques, what more, it is a simple cinnamon sugar muffin, it is easy as 1-2-3. =)

The muffins just came out fresh from the oven, I was removing them but they turned out to be too hot, hence I left it for a while, could not resist myself from taking a photo...

The ingredients are as following (improvised from muffinrecipes.net):

2 medium eggs.
1 cup of self-raising flour.
2 cups of plain flour.
1 cup of buttermilk.
1 cup of sugar.
5 tbsps of butter.
5 tbps of shortening.
3 tsps of baking powder.
1 tsp of soda bicarbonate.
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tspn of salt.
1/2 tspn of nutmeg.

Topping:
1/2 cup of melted butter.
1/4 cup of castor sugar
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of cinnamon. (or more)

Yields: 12 crown muffins


Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 - 180 degrees C) and place the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Butter or spray with vegetable oil spray a 12 - 1/2 cup muffin pan.

2. Cream together the butter, the shortening and the sugar. Beat in the eggs, salt, nutmeg, baking powder, soda bicarbonate and lemon juice. Stir in the flour and milk alternately until mixture is just combined.

3. Fill muffin cups to the top.

4. Bake about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cook for five minutes and then remove muffins from pan.

5. Blend together the castor and brown sugar together with the cinnamon powder. Dip each muffin in the melted butter. Roll each muffin in the cinnamon sugar blend, I only did this to the top of the muffin as I did not want the muffins to be too sweet.

The muffins coated with cinnamon sugar blend, beware weigh watchers!

I tried to capture the texture of the muffins in this photo(above), but the lighting was really bad, nevertheless I posted it as the contrast between the front back muffins was interesting (from my point of view).

I tried taking photos of the muffins again in the morning, obviously there was not much left on the plate, you could imagine where they went over the night, not me! but my housemates! Laughing*

Another shot of two muffins together, the lighting in the morning helped a lot with the photos, maybe I should try using white light when taking photos at night, when I bake...

The final shot before it went into my stomach, look at that texture of the muffin! Thank you daylight!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try using real Cinnamon in your recipe and reduce on the sugar.

The Cinnamon that is sold in the US is actually Cassia. Cassia has a chemical called coumarin which could be toxic.

Please click the below link to read more

http://www.bfr.bund.de/cd/8487