Thursday 4 December 2008

Apple n Oats Rasberry Jam Muffin

Its around times like this when my postings just cant keep up to pace with my baking, with one more recipe to post and another coming up tonight, I am wondering when will I get to finish posting all these recipes!? Nevertheless, determined to bake one recipe every night this week, I think the ones who will really benefit are those who really read this blog and try out the recipes (not forgetting the ones who eat the muffins, laughs*)

Today's post is a slightly more healthy one, apples and oats, what else can a weight watcher ask for? If you really want to watch that belly, throw in wheat flour and muesli as well, that will really top of the nutrition for this recipe. As for now, I will stick to just apples and rolled oats, and let the other guilt-laden senses (strictly related to taste buds only) overwhelm the notion of being healthy.

The muffins fresh from the oven, looks like adding the self-raising flour certainly has made the muffins 'puff'. This simply proofs the previous recipe to be workable and quite successful! "Excitement!*

Leave the muffins to cool for about 5-10 minutes before removing from the tray, place on wire rack to further cool it down.

The muffins posing for a good shot, I actually thought of posting all the pictures of them posing, but finally decided not to, considering there were too many of them. I think I should restrain myself from taking food pictures obsessively, it is starting to take up a lot of space in my storage hard drives.

Just before I forget, here is the recipe used this time, I am considering to make another come back on apple muffins some time in the future, and I might just improvise from here or something:

2 large eggs
2 cups of flour
1 cup of self-raising flour
1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
1 cup of sugar
3 tsps of baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp lime juice
2 apples (skinned and grated)
1 cup of rolled oats
2 tsps cinnamon powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup of raspberry jam of your choice + extra 24 tsp

yields - 24 muffins

Method

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175-180 degrees C) and place the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Butter a 12 - 1/2 cup muffin pan or line with paper muffin liners.

2. Cream together the butter, buttermilk, raspberry jam and sugar. Beat in the eggs, salt, baking powder, soda bicarbonate and lemon juice. In another bowl, mix sifted flour, self-raising flour and cinnamon powder with rolled oats and grated apple. Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture (or vice verse) alternately until mixture is just combined.

3. Fill muffin cups halfway, add a tsp of jam, make sure you make it bulge and not spread over the whole batter to make it easier to seal later on. Add another layer of batter to cover and seal off the jam.

4. Bake about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cook for 5 minutes and then remove muffins from pan.

5. Serve warm or reheat when required.

Finally, the true moment the next morning, where the muffins are teared apart with white steam oozing from each torn bits... *Yum Yum* To reheat, just chuck the muffins into the microwave oven for a minute or a bit more, remember to thaw them for abut 10 minutes or preferably more if you took them out from the refrigerator.

Another close shot, I think the microwave has vaporized the jam fillings, I shall try it fresh from the oven next time, otherwise, I might have to add custard powder to thicken the fillings, preventing them from turning out as it is now.

As you might have noticed, I did not have fillings for all of the muffins, but I think having that extra filling makes the eating process more interesting, so do chuck in it there when you do try out this recipe. I simply could not fill every muffins as I ran out jam halfway through the process.

Enjoy!

*The End*









No comments: