Monday 22 September 2008

Dill Roasted Double Meat Strips with Buttered Brocolli Mash

In order to create a sense of sequence running in according to the festivals and special occasions, I really wanted to wait till all my pictures on my mooncake baking last week to come to me before I started to post again on my blog. However, it seems to be taking forever for my to get my hands on all of them. Hence I resorted to start straight away and leave that mooncake post to some other time, yet again, like last time.

Anyway, to start off again, I attempted to make a dish with two leftover meat in the fridge with a newly bought herb - dill seeds. This is the first time I have tried using dill and I really did not imagine how it would have tasted like, or look like, for that matter. The end result? Everyone was satisfied, they commented that the taste of dill was really mild, but its presence (smell) was undeniable, there was this mild flavour oozing out of the meat strips in every bite of it, so mild that as if it didn't exist, but when you get your mind over it, you suddenly realize, hey, that's not right, there is this special taste which is definitely not the taste of meat! That is how it is like, I tried my best to describe it, anyway, give it a try!

Ingredients:
about 300g of stir-fry pork and chicken breast fillet each, 2tbsp dark soy sauce, 2 tbsp oyster sauce, 1tbsp light soy sauce, 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1/2 cup Chinese shao xing cooking wine (or any sweet red wine, consider cherry), 5 garlic cloves, 1 tbsp vegetable oil, sea salt and pepper to taste, about 8 Shitake mushrooms (use more if desired), 3 tbsp dill seeds (lightly roasted), 1 broccoli, 2 tbsp butter.



Method:
1. Marinate the meat fillets and sliced mushroom with 2 tbsp of dill seeds, light and dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, wine, oil, sugar and salt and pepper for at least 15 minutes.
2. Roast 1/2 tbsp dill seeds in saucepan, melt butter together in the pan. On the other hand, steam the broccoli in a steamer until soft, mash the broccoli (or use a food blender for a finer texture) and add in the melted butter, mix well.
3. Roast the marinated ingredients for 40 minutes in a preheated oven at 220 degrees Celsius. Remove in between to turn the ingredients once. Done, remove from oven to cool before serving.
4. Lay meat on top of mashed broccoli, sprinkle with remaining roasted dill seeds.



No comments: