Wednesday 9 July 2008

Experimenting with Eggplants

Having seen some friends' dinner pictures at a Spanish restaurant, I was intrigued by one of the restaurant's which made use of eggplant. As the only referral I had was a picture, the cooking method and ingredients involved was largely up to my own imagination. Hence, with some spare time this afternoon, I decided to let my imaginations take off and try out something with a big eggplant left in the fridge.

The ingredients used are pretty simple, with the eggplant being the main character here. For a start, peel the skin of eggplant, cut into rectangular chunks, mix together with 2 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp black pepper powder, 1 tbsp sweet paprika and 2 tbsp five spice powder before leaving aside to marinate. Prepare another two bowls, one with beaten egg wash of 1 egg, and another with the mixture of 5tbsp bread crumbs, 1 tbsp dried chives, 1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp plain flour, and 2 tbsp of curry and tumeric powder each.


Method:Dip one piece of eggplant in the egg wash before coating with the breadcrumb mixture, repeat with all eggplant cutlets. Lightly saute the breadcrumb -coated eggplants in a hot pan with some oil, do not overcook the eggplants, and beware not to overburn the breadcrumb coating. Leave aside on a kitchen towel after browning the eggplants for a few minutes. Next, bake the eggplants in a preheated oven at 200 degrees Celcius for 40 minutes, changing sides every 10 minutes or so. Serve hot from the oven immediately for best taste. I think it is possible to grill the breadcrumb-coated eggplants as well, but I will have to try that next time before I can be sure, maybe someone else can try it out and tell me?


No comments: